2013 trends - Kitchens
There are emerging trends in new custom home and custom renovations as we are now in 2013. A lot of the things that we did in the 2012 construction year were the same as in previous years. But there were things that were new in 2012, and have more and more home owners opting for them which is creating the new trends in 2013. I am focusing on kitchens and their current trends.
Here is a list of the trends that have stayed the same over the last several years;
• Sub-zero is still the most popular for refrigerators.
• Viking and Wolfs are the most popular ovens and cook tops.
• Larger islands are still popular and there increase in size is as well.
• Stainless steel is still the most popular for appliances.
• Multiple sinks are still popular, usually a large main sink and then a small separate sink that is used to wash fruit.
• Multiple ovens are still popular.
• Painted kitchen cupboards are still the most popular choice over stained wood.
• Under mount stainless steel sinks are still the most popular option.
Here are new trends in kitchens;
• Granite had been the most popular choice in kitchens for a long time. But with the invention of new manufactured products for counter tops that are comparative in price with the traditional granite, you are seeing a lot more home owners choosing Caesar stone, Quartz and Corian. These products have a lot of the same characteristics as granite, some of them are also cheaper and they come in a variety of colours and styles. The big trend right now is to do a mix of manufactured and granite. This adds a little variety to the kitchen and can also solve the problem in large kitchens of trying to find enough granite that matches for every surface.
• Glass back-splashes instead of tile back-splashes in kitchens are becoming popular; you can paint the back of the glass to add colours or patterns to the glass. This gives you a clean seamless surface.
• High gloss on cabinetry is becoming more and more popular; this is a more modern look to a kitchen and helps the kitchen stay looking new longer.
• The main sink is now placed in the island instead of on a wall under a window. The main sink in the island faces toward the living room so that people working in the kitchen can interact with their guests. This goes along with the kitchen being the hub of the home.
• Convection ovens that double as microwaves are quickly replacing the traditional stove with the microwave/hood vent over top.
• A growing trend is the large white country sinks that protrude out the front of the cabinets showing a finished white face.
• Multiple dishwashers are now popular in large kitchens.
• Under mount microwaves were a novelty a couple of years ago, but today it is becoming extremely popular, it is a great way to hide a microwave in your brand new kitchen, especially since the microwave/hood vent combination is falling out of popularity.
• White is a colour that is back in for the kitchens, rapidly replacing the darker bolder colours of the last couple of years.
• Cabinets specially designed for the spaces and other specific things instead of just different sized cabinets that you fit things into, such as pot drawers, spice racks, custom dish racks and small speciality drawers that hold your wash cloths and dish soup.
These are just some of the new trends in kitchens in today’s new custom homes and custom renovations.
Village Builders Inc.