In today’s modern world of construction things are changing year to year faster than they did decade to decade in any other previous time period. In this multi part series I will traverse through an entire house starting with the foundation and working my way up to the roof and then to the finishing’s. I will explain what has changed in the last twenty years in custom home building.
One thing that you should be able to take away from this is how important it is to not just hire the right general contractor to build your custom home but how important it is to hire one that is up on today’s building methods.
Twenty years ago carpets where used wall to wall. Every room could be installed with carpet, sometimes even the bathroom.
Today carpet is being used less in the custom home. Most places that carpet is used are in the bedroom and the basement. Here are some of the things that have changed and been improved;
• Carpets used to be the same colour almost through they entire home. Today's custom home you will routinely see a different colour of carpet in every room and one for the hallways.
• Good quality carpets are made from environmentally friendly materials these days. Carpets now are sold as low or non off gasing, that means that they do not release harmful chemicals after they are installed. This is safer and healthier for people and their pets.
• Under pads have gotten thicker and softer with more quality foam being used for more comfort. Under pads in the basement are made to be anti-mold and anti-mildue. They help reduce the smell of a damp basement environment. Under pads are also used to dampen the sound when people walk across bedroom carpets on higher floors.
• Basement carpeting is now made to be anti-mold and anti-mildue. The carpet is treated in a way that will help resist the growth of mold when damp conditions are present.
• A lot of carpets are now made out of recycled materials so that they have a smaller environmental footprint.
• Carpets overall are made thicker and softer than ever before, this is great for bedrooms and other areas where people enjoy walking around in bare feet.
• There are different types of carpets for different purposes. Bedroom carpets are thicker and softer to the touch. Hallway and high traffic areas are built to hold their colour even with heavy wear and still keep a high level of comfort.
The modern carpet is made to last longer and hold it's colour for a per-longed period of time. The should easily get 20 years of life out of a good quality carpet in a custom home today.
Looking for part 18 coming soon....
Village Builders Inc.