These are trends in fireplaces that are popular in custom homes, some of these trends started this year making them new trends. There are also trends that started a year or more a go that are considered long term trends.
With the amount of different styles, sizes, shapes, colours, types and exhaust methods in fireplaces I am attempting to educate homeowners and help their decision making a little easier as it can be a daunting choice to make as the fireplace is usually the heart of the home and the one thing that everyone will see and gather around.
Here is a list of the trends that have stayed the same over the last several years;
• Mason hand built Rumford fireplaces are the most often installed in custom homes when you want a wood burning fireplace that does not require doors to contain the smoke.
• Gas insects built into walls are the most popular, free standing wood or gas stoves are almost never installed in new homes anymore.
• Fireplaces overall whether they are wood burning or gas are growing in size.
• Wood mantles are still the most commonly installed mantles above the fireplace.
• Houses with multiple fireplaces in them are almost the norm, especially when they have access to natural gas as the installation and use of the fireplace units is fairly inexpensive.
• The long and low gas fireplace that is closer to a wide screen television look then the more traditional square fireplaces has quickly become the choice of homeowners looking for a different feel then the conventional. It also allows more viewing area for the flame as it is longer than it is tall.
• The master bedroom has become a spot where gas fireplaces are showing up. It allows homeowners to have that romantic fireplace glow and the ability to warm the bedroom up without having to adjust the thermostat on the furnace.
• Remotes for gas fireplaces are standard now with almost all models of gas fireplaces coming with remotes, this allows homeowners the freedom to be anywhere in the room and still be able to control the flame, fan and heat that the unit is producing.
• With the resurgence of wood burning fireplaces natural stone finishes on fireplaces has as well. Most Rumford built fireplaces have a natural stone surround.
Manufactured stone is predominately made by Eldorado stone whether it is the Eldorado line of stone or there other lines like Dutch Quality. Their ability to make a manufactured stone that looks so much like natural stone is making homeowners choice between the two more difficult and leaving the competition in the dust.
• The rising cost of energy has made wood burning fireplaces a must in custom homes, they give cheap heat that usually costs nothing more than a little bit of sweat equity to create, especially when you live in a rural setting. It’s also great insurance as a backup heat source when the power fails.
Here is a list of the trends that have started this year and are growing in popularity;
• The long low fireplace that is about 1 foot high but 5 or 6 feet long has really started to become popular with homeowners, it is a very modern look that also looks wonderful in more traditional settings.
• Gas fireplaces with interior lighting are a newer option. It allows you to light the fireplace without having to burn gas and heating up the room. Not all fireplaces have this option.
• Stamped or poured and grooved concrete has started to become popular with people looking for something different that will also catch the eye once they enter the room.
• Faux concrete panels that are backed with spray foam insulation and a custom exterior finish on them have started to become very popular. As they are light enough to be lifted by two people and cut with a skill saw they are easy to install and the ultimate in personalization when designing a fireplace surround.
• The overall size and height of stone fireplaces has started to grow again, this is a change from years past as the size has stayed the same or actually gotten smaller because of the heavy cost associated with building them.
• Custom metal fireplace doors that are made to look like pieces of art that are one of a kind, designed for the fireplace are becoming more popular as people look for something to make their homes unique.
With fireplaces you have to remember that they are entirely customizable, you can have any combination that you want and any size or dimension that you require. This makes fireplaces a wonderful and personal thing to have installed in your home. Make sure that you take your time choosing it, your going to have to look at it everyday and so will everyone else.
Village Builders Inc.