How closely do I have to watch my Renovation Contractor?
Since you’re asking this question I have to conclude one of two things;
1. That you’re a complete control freak or
2. You don’t entirely trust your renovation contractor.
If it’s the first one I can’t really help you as you’re going to do what you’re going to do regardless of what advice I can give you.
So let’s deal with the second one;
You don’t entirely trust your renovation contractor. If this is the case then you actually have a real problem and you should think about why you are hiring someone that you don’t completely trust to do something to your home?
You are allowing someone into your home, access to your personnel things and your family, your also paying a lot of money for this person to work on your home and this should really be thought of as an investment in your home. You’re putting a major investment in your home in the hands of someone you don’t actually trust.
The big question is why did you hire this person in the first place?
Usually it has to do with money. Most people that end up hiring someone that they don’t fully trust is because they came cheap or cheaper then everyone else. Well when it comes to renovations you get what you pay for. There’s a reason they are cheap;
• They use cheap material.
• They don’t follow proper safety procedures.
• They are not properly insured.
• They don’t know what they are doing.
• They will not give a proper warranty or any at all.
• They do not hire qualified sub-trades.
• They try to do all the work themselves (electrical, plumbing) instead of paying for a certified professional.
• They won’t give you a proper schedule for the project.
• They don’t clean up properly after themselves.
• They do not employ enough people to do the job in a timely manner.
• They deal in cash (either partially or fully). This is to avoid paying WSIB and income tax.
You should rethink your renovation contractor and either raise your budget or scale back your renovation to the point where you can afford it with a qualified contractor that you are comfortable with and one that you can trust.
There is no quicker way to ruin your home or your finances then hiring the wrong person to renovate your home.
If you don’t trust your renovator find another one and fast.
Village Builders Inc.