5 Things to consider when planning your renovation
1. Budget. This is the single biggest thing you will have to decide when you want to renovate your home. It doesn’t matter if you want to renovate your entire home or just one room you can’t start to make any plans for your renovation until you set the budget. Set your budget realistically.
2. Plans. Whether you draw them on a piece of paper, have them drawn by a professional or draw it out on the floor of the room with your contractor, you need some sort of plan. Don't ever start a renovation without a clear plan of where you want it to finish, some of the worst mistakes are made when someone starts a renovation telling themselves they will figure it out as they go.
3. Style. Since you have plans now you need style. Best laid plans will look all wrong if you don't have the right style in the room. Look through magazines, watch TV shows and mark down what you like and what you don't. This will go a long way to helping you organize the room during and after the renovation. Make sure you involve your better half, chances are you and them will have different styles, you will have to find some common ground.
4. Contractor. No matter how much you plan, if you don't find the right contractor to do the actual work then your renovation will turn out poorly. Take your time and find not only a contractor that is good at what they do but one that you can personally get along with. This will make the renovation experience a much more enjoyable experience.
5. Price. Make sure that you get a price. It doesn't have to be a fixed price as some renovations can be hard to price, you should at least have a budget that you and your contractor will be working from that will help keep costs in line throughout the project. As I said about the budget, the price should be realistic, if your contractors price looks to cheap or way to expensive then you should be looking around for another price to compare it too. If it's to good to be true then it probably is something wrong with the price.
Whatever you want to do, you should be planning as much about the renovation as possible before it ever starts; right down to the colour of the carpet, every detail that you are able to decide on before the pressure of the renovation starts the more enjoyable the renovation experience will be.
Village Builders Inc.