Saturday, November 24, 2012

Don't be afraid to ask your contractor questions


Don’t ever be afraid to ask your contractor a question!

When you are having your dream home built, a good contractor will give you a tour of the project as it is being constructed. These guided tours are a great opportunity to educate yourself on how your home is being put together.

Do not be intimidated by the size and complexity of the building around you. If you don’t understand why something is the way it is then simply ask.

I have given many people tours of their new custom home when it is being constructed; the people that never ask me a question are usually the people that I have difficulty with later. People that do not ask a lot of questions usually make a lot of assumptions and those assumptions in their minds will grow into facts even if they are not correct. The best and easiest clients to have are the ones that ask a lot of questions and take the time to educate themselves about how their house is put together and how all the different parts of the home operate together.

As a client that is having a custom home built you should strive to be the easy client, be the client that asks questions when you don’t understand why something is constructed a certain way. I for one enjoy telling people about how their home is put together and why we do some of the things that we do, this is the easiest way that I as a high end custom home builder am able to distinguish my company from other companies and why we do things “my way”.

As a contractor that does this job 7 days a week 50 weeks of the year a lot of times I can take for granted that not everyone knows what I know, so I need my clients to ask me questions. This will help me understand their knowledge of their new custom home and also help dispel any misinformation that they might have obtained from another source.

Part of having a custom home built is getting the chance to watch your home be constructed and to learn about how it was put together.

So remember a good contractor wants you to ask questions, so ask away!

Rob Abbott
Operations Manager
Village Builders Inc.

No comments:

Post a Comment